Brother Ralph (August) Mravintz
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1943-1944 Mt. St. John (Dayton, OH)
- 1945 St. John’s Home (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1946-1947 Unknown
- 1948-1949 Purcell High School (Cincinnati, OH)
- 1950 University of Dayton (Dayton, OH)
- 1950-1953 Hamilton Catholic High School (Hamilton, OH)
- 1953-1959 Cathedral Latin High School (Cleveland, OH)
- 1959-1960 Chaminade High School (Mineola, NY)
- 1960-1964 North Catholic High School (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1965 Moeller High School (Cincinnati, OH)
- 1965-1973 University of Dayton (Dayton, OH)
- 1974-1984 St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- 1984-1985 North Catholic High School (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1985-1988 Memphis Catholic High School (Memphis, TN)
- 1989-1992 Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory School (Hollywood, FL)
- 1993-2004 St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- 2005 Indiana Avenue Marianist Community (Dayton, OH)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Brother Ralph (August) Mravintz:
Brother Ralph (August) Mravintz was a member of the Marianist Order. He spent his career working as a teacher at multiple parishes in multiple states. According to media reports, in 1985, he was accused of sexually abusing a 15-year-old male student from 1984 to 1985 while teaching at North Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The boy was seeking help with his studies, when Brother Mravintz allegedly hugged him, said I love you and and fondled him on several occasions.
Brother Mravintz was charged with indecent assault and corrupting a minor but was not removed from his classroom. In 1986, he pleaded no contest to a reduced disorderly conduct charge because the boy did not want to testify. The Diocese of Brooklyn denied responsibility because he was a member of a religious order.
Brother Mravintz died in May 2006. The Archdiocese of New York denied any knowledge of the 1985 charges until May 2014, when an alumnus reported Brother Mravintz in response to requests for complaints regarding another allegedly abusive clergy member, Brother Hartman.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.