Bishop Michael J. Bransfield
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Ordained As Bishop: 2005
Accused in sworn testimony: 2012
Assigned in Archdiocese of Philadelphia as follows:
- 1971-1973 St. Albert the Great (Huntingdon Valley, PA)
- 1973-1979 St. Stanislaus (Lansdale, PA)
- 1973-1979 Lansdale Catholic High School (Lansdale, PA)
- 1979-1990 National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (Washington, DC)
- 1990-2005 Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (Washington, DC)
- 2003-2005 Catholic University of America (Washington, DC)
- 2003-2005 U.S. Catholic Conference of Bishops (Washington, DC)
- 2003-2005 Knights of Columbus (Washington, DC)
- 2003-2005 Knights of the Holy Sepulchre (Washington, DC)
- 2003-2005 Papal Foundation (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2003-2005 St. Charles Borromeo Seminary (Philadelphia, PA)
Summary of Allegations Against Bishop Michael Bransfield:
According to media reports, Bishop Bransfield was named as an abuser of boys in the 2012 testimony of one witness during the trial of Monsignor William Lynn, the former Secretary of Clergy for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Another witness testified Bransfield had a lewd conversation with him. Both men were testifying about abuse by Father Stanley Gana. The Prosecutor also said that Bransfield had been accused in a separate instance of fondling a minor in the 1970s.
Bransfield denied the allegations. He then resigned in September 2018 after Pope Francis ordered an investigation into allegations that Bransfield sexually harassed adults.
Contact us today.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.