Father Joseph A. Griffin – Diocese of Scranton
Assigned as follows:
- 1927 St. Matthew (East Stroudsburg, PA)
- 1927-1928 St. Andrew (Blossburg, PA)
- 1928-1929 Annunciation (Williamsport, PA)
- 1929-1932 Absent for Studies: Catholic University
- 1932-1938 Marywood College (Scranton, PA)
- 1938-1944 St. Joseph Children & Maternity Hosp. (Scranton, PA)
- 1944-1951 St. Catherine (Moscow, PA)
- 1951-1952 St. Basil (Dushore, PA)
- 1952-1967 Ss. Peter & Paul (Towanda, PA)
- 1967-1974 St. Mary (Avoca, PA)
- 1974-1976 Marian Convent (Scranton, PA)
- 1979-1980 Retired
- 1980 St. Catherine (Moscow, PA)
- 1980 Blessed Sacrament (Hughestown, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Joseph Griffin:
In 2009, the Diocese of Scranton received information that a 42 year old man was sexually abused by Father Joseph Griffin in 1967. The man was 9 years old. Griffin took him and other boys to Seneca Lake, New York, and to a summer cottage on Lake Henry in the Poconos. He reported that Griffin made him share a bed and that is when the inappropriate touching occurred. He contacted the Diocese again in 2011.
Griffin died in 1988 as a priest in good standing of the Diocese of Scranton, albeit a retired one.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.