Father Bruno M. Tucci
Diocese of Allentown (Pennsylvania)
Laicized (removed from priesthood): 2007
Assigned as follows:
- 1971-1972 St. Margaret (Reading, PA)
- 1972 Cardinal Brennan High School (Fountain Spring, PA)
- 1972 Annunciation (Shenandoah, PA)
- 1972-1974 St. Canicus (Mahanoy City, PA)
- 1972-1977 Marian High School (Tamaqua, PA)
- 1974-1975 Ss. Peter and Paul (Lehighton, PA)
- 1975-1977 Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Nesquehoning, PA)
- 1975 Marian High School (Tamaqua, PA)
- 1977-1979 Holy Name High School (Reading, PA)
- 1977 St. Columbkill (Boyertown, PA)
- 1977-1978 Most Blessed Sacrament (Bally, PA)
- 1978-1981 St. Peter (Reading, PA)
- 1979-1981 Central Catholic High School (Reading, PA)
- 1981-1986 Immaculate Conception (Kelayres, PA)
- 1986-2002 Our Lady of Mount Carmel/Immaculate Conception (Nesquehoning, PA)
- 2002 Retired
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Bruno Tucci:
According to the grand jury report, the “Diocese of Allentown became aware of Fr. Bruno Tucci’s abuse of children in 1991.” At that time, a man reported being abused as a 14 year old boy, but no details are provided as to the date or Tucci’s assignment at the time of the alleged abuse. The man who came forward in 1991 alleged that he was fondled by Tucci several times under the guise of tickling the boy. Tucci admitted to the allegations when confronted by the Diocese of Allentown. He sought to minimize his conduct by calling it “just fondling,” rather than actual sodomy. Like many other accused priests in the Diocese of Allentown, Tucci was sent to the notorious Servants of the Paraclete facility in New Mexico, and then returned to ministry as if nothing had happened.
In 1993, the same victim approached the Diocese again, outraged that Tucci was still working as a priest. He asked to confront Tucci personally. It did not happen.
Almost a decade later, in February 2002, while several other priests were being confronted with past allegations about their wrongdoing, Tucci again met with the Chancery of the Diocese of Allentown and admitted his guilt. He offered to retire. Four days later, the Bishop of Allentown accepted Tucci’s resignation and his retirement became effective in March 2002.
In May 2002, the Diocese received a letter from another victim stating that he was molested by Tucci between 1977 and 1978 as a child. Tucci did not deny the allegation when confronted, stating only that he did not recall it.
In 2005, Tucci applied for laicization (dismissal from the priesthood). It was granted by the Vatican in 2007.
In 2013, Tucci was arrested by Maryland officials on charges that he sexually abused a boy in August 1981 at an Ocean City, Maryland, motel. There is no statute of limitations on certain sex crimes against children in Maryland. Charges were ultimately dropped, though the court docket is unclear as to the reason why.
Tucci is alive and believed to be residing in the Salisbury, Maryland area.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.