Father C. Jeffries Burton
Diocese of Camden
Assigned as follows:
- 1968 College of the Sacred Heart (Woodstock, MD)
- 1969-1970 Colegio San Mateo (Osorno, Chile)
- 1971-1978 Chapel of the Holy Redeemer (Hot Springs, NC)
- 1979-1982 Youth Ministries (Flat Rock, NC)
- 1980 Self-Help, Inc. (Baltimore, MD)
- 1983-1988 Holy Name (Camden, NJ)
- 1989-1991 Jesuit Ferdinand Wheeler House (Baltimore, MD)
- 1990-1994 Holy Spirit (Atlantic City, NJ); Camden Diocesan Center (Mays Landing, NJ) Stockton State College (Pomona, NJ)
- 1993-1998 St. Peter (Pleasantville, NJ)
- 1999-2002 St. James (Ventor, NJ)
- 2003-2006 Assumption Parish (Pomona, NJ)
- 2007 Sacred Heart (South Richmond, VA)
- 2008 Jesuit Fathers and Brother Maryland Provincial Curia (Baltimore, MD)
- 2009-2010 Colombiere Jesuit Community (Baltimore, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father C. Jeffries Burtonr:
Father C. Jeffries Burton was ordained a Jesuit priest. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career including Maryland, Chile, North Carolina and New Jersey. He taught, served in hispanic ministry, established and co-directed a youth ministry program, and worked as a campus minister. According to media reports, in 1994, the Jesuits received a report that in 1982 Father Burton had engaged in “inappropriate touching” with a minor in North Carolina. He was sent for therapy, but remained in ministry and was reassigned.
In June 2007, the Jesuits said they discovered the earlier allegation from 1982 after reviewing Father Burton’s personnel file. He was co-director of youth ministry for the Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina at the time. He acknowledged the sexual misconduct and was removed from active ministry. He died in August 2011.
In December 2018, Father Burton’s name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors since 1950. In February 2019, his name also appeared publicly on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. It was added to the Diocese of Richmond’s list, as well.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Camden. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Camden, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Camden now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.