Monsignor Edward Joyce
Diocese of Pittsburgh
Assigned as Follows:
- 1941-1946 – Parochial Vicar, St. James (Wilkinsburg, PA)
- 1946-1955 – Parochial Vicar, St. Andrew (North Side, PA)
- 1955-1959 – Parochial Vicar, St. Titus (Aliquippa, PA)
- 1959 – Parochial Vicar, St. Joseph (Sharpsburg, PA)
- 1959 – Vic Enc, St. Joseph (Sharpsburg, PA)
- 1959-1963 – Pastor, St. Joseph (Sharpsburg, PA)
- 1963-1968 – Pastor, St. Joseph (North Side, PA)
- 1968-1969 – Chaplain, Sisters of St. Francis (Mt. Assisi, PA)
Summary of Allegations Against Msgr. Edward Joyce:
Monsignor Edward Joyce was reported to the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office for sexual abuse in 2002. Diocesan records show that a male victim told the Diocese of Pittsburgh he was abused from 1966 to 1968 at a church in the county. The victim reported that between the ages of 10 and 12, he and Father Joyce would give each other massages. The massages then became naked massages with inappropriate touching involved. Father Patrick Jones once caught the two of them, and Joyce was sent to work at an all-female school soon after.
According to the grand jury report, a woman contacted St. Joseph’s school in 2010 to ask for her records. She relayed “troubling information” about Father Edward Joyce, but there was no record of this information in the file, so the exact content of her report is not clear.
Joyce was also named in a civil lawsuit filed against the Diocese of Pittsburgh in October 2018.
Joyce died in 1969.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.