Father George Callaghan
Diocese of Albany
Assigned as follows:
- 1956 – 1957 Augustinian College (Washington, DC)
- 1957 – 1959 Augustinian Preparatory Seminary (New York, NY)
- 1959 – 1964 Holy Rosary (Lawrence, MA)
- 1964 – 1966 St. Nicholas of Tolentine (New York, NY)
- 1966 – 1970 Immaculate Conception (Hoosick Falls, NY)
- 1970 – 1976 St. Augustine’s (Troy, NY)
- 1970 – 1976 Merrimack College (North Andover, MA)
- 1976 – 1978 St. Augustine’s (Lawrence, MA)
- 1978 – 1982 Holy Rosary (Lawrence, MA)
- 1982 – 1984 Church of the Assumption St. Mary’s (Lawrence, MA)
- 1984 – 1986 Austin Preparatory School (Reading, MA)
- 1984 – 1986 Villanova University (Villanova, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father George Callaghan:
According to media reports, in the early 1990s, Father George Callaghan was sent from the Archdiocese of Boston to the Augustinian headquarters in Villanova, Pennsylvania. Later, he was reportedly moved to a local nursing home due to advanced Alzheimer’s disease.
In December 2002, Father Callaghan’s personnel file was released. It showed he had been accused of making sexual advances toward a 17-year-old boy at St. Mary’s in 1983. Father Callaghan was said to have been drinking Scotch whisky when he lured the boy to his rectory bedroom and told him that in order to be “closer to God” the boy needed to take off his clothes and lie down next to him. The boy is said to have fled. Several months later another Augustinian priest at the parish, is said to have molested the same boy for twenty-one consecutive nights in the priest’s camper during a cross-country trip. The Augustinians settled with the boy in 1992.
In 1993, the Augustinians also settled with a 22-year-old male employee of St. Mary’s, who claimed Father Callaghan sexually harassed him. The man said Father Callaghan made lewd comments and groped him. He received a $17,000 settlement.
Records indicate Father Callaghan denied both claims. He died in December 2008.
His name was omitted from the Archdiocese of Boston’s 2011 list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors, because he was an Augustinian Order priest.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Albany, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.