Father John F. X. Bellwoar
Diocese of Newark
Assigned as follows:
- 1927-1928 Georgetown Preparatory School (N. Bethesda, MD)
- 1928-1930 Gonzaga College High School (Washington, DC)
- 1935-1936 St. Peter’s Preparatory School (Jersey City, NJ)
- 1936 -1938 Fordham Preparatory School (Bronx, NY)
- 1938-1940 St. Joseph’s University (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1940-1941 Loyola University Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
- 1941-1970 Gonzaga College High School (Washington, DC)
- 1970-1976 St. Patrick’s Catholic Church (Washington, DC) Attached to Jesuit Community of St. Aloysius Gonzaga (Washington, DC)
- 1976-1991 Gonzaga College High School (Washington, DC)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John F. X. Bellwoar:
Father John F. X. Bellwoar was ordained a Jesuit priest. He died in November 1993. According to media reports, in December 2018, his name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors. It noted multiple allegations of abuse, occurring from the 1950s to the 1960s in Prince George’s County, MD and Washington, DC. In February 2019, his name was included in the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Newark. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Newark, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Newark now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.