Father Matthew Kornacki
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Removed from ministry: 2003
Permanently restricted from ministry: 2004
Assigned as follows:
- 1973-1977 St. Ephrem (Bensalem, PA)
- 1977-1981 Holy Saviour (Norristown, PA)
- 1981-1985 Good Shepherd (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1982-1985 West Catholic Girls High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1985-1992 St. Isidore (Quakertown, PA)
- 1992-1997 Immaculate Heart of Mary (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1997-2000 St. Martin of Tours (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1998 Transfiguration (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1999 St. Barbara (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2000 Immaculate Conception (Levittown, PA)
- 2000-2003 St. Charles Borromeo Seminary (in res.) (Overbrook, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Matthew Kornacki:
In 2003, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia received information that the New York City Police Department (NYPD) caem to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary to met with Father Matthew Kornacki to investigate allegations that he had viewed child pornography between 2001 and 2003. Kornacki was immediately sent for a psychological evaluation at St. John Vianney, a notorious treatment center for pedophile priests owned by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. During his evaluation, he admitted to the allegations against him.
In 2004, Kornacki pled guilty to federal charges that he purchased a disc containing more than 150 images of child pornography. He was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison, a $6,000 fine, and two years supervised probation upon release.
That same year, in lieu of an internal church trial to remove him from the priesthood (laicization), Kornacki agreed to surrender his priestly faculties and live a “supervised life of prayer and penance” following his release from prison.
Kornacki has never been publicly accused of inappropriate physical contact with a minor.
Kornacki now resides at Villa St. Joseph retirement home with other accused priests who have accepted a life of “supervised prayer and penance.” The exact extent of his supervision and his daily activities are unknown.
Kornacki is 71 years old.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Philadelphia now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.