Fr. Michael Pulicare – Diocese of Scranton
Sick Leave: 1999
Assigned as follows:
- Saint Ann, Shohola, 5/14/1971
- Most Precious Blood, Hazelton, 9/7/1971
- Saint Anthony of Padua, Dunmore and Instructor at Bishop O’Hara High School, Dunmore 9/3/1974
- Saint Matthew, East Stroudsburg, 5/27/1975
- Saint Joseph, Scranton, 9/2/1975
- Chaplain of the Forest Lakes Council of Boy Scouts, 10/20/1975
- Saint Mary Czestochowa, Eynon, 1/24/1985
- Saint Mary’s Assumption, Jessup, 9/4/1985
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Carbondale, 9/5/1989
- Saint John the Evangelist, Susquehanna, 7/8/1996
- Leave for reasons of health, 2/15/1999
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Michael Pulicare:
Father Michael Pulicare is an accused priest whose name was not disclosed on the Diocese of Scranton’s August 2018 list of credibly accused priests. He was also not discussed in the grand jury report of the same month.
In September 2018, the Wall Street Journal featured a story about a man, J.P., who alleged he was sexually abused by Pulicare at St. Joseph in Scranton during the mid-1970s. He was about 12 years old and says that Pulicare took a “special interest” in him because he knew the boy didn’t have the most stable home life. The incident occurred on a fishing trip at Pulicare’s parents’ house. He was forced to share a bed with the priest, who abused him during the night. Before bringing the boy home, J.P. says that Pulicare threatened him that “God would take [his] parents away.”
There have been other allegations made involving Pulicare during that same time period.
In response to the article, the Diocese of Scranton stated only that Pulicare has no “credible” allegations against him. That may mean that he has been accused by others of abuse, but the Diocese’s internal review board did not deem the allegation(s) credible. It could also mean that no one has ever approached the Diocese with an allegation of abuse involving Pulicare. The Diocese of Scranton’s statement seems to leave more questions than it answers.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Pulicare died in 1999. He was a priest in good standing at the time of his death.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.