Msgr. John S. Mraz
Diocese of Allentown (Pennsylvania)
Elevated to Monsignor: 2008
Arrested: Sept. 2016
Assigned as follows:
- 1975-1976 St. Joseph (Reading, PA)
- 1975-1976 St. Cecilia (Reading, PA)
- 1975-1980 Reading Central Catholic High School (Reading, PA)
- 1976-1978 St. Paul (Reading, PA)
- 1978-1979 Immaculate Conception (Birdsboro, PA)
- 1979-1980 St. Ignatius Loyola (Sinking Spring, PA)
- 1980-1983 St. Joseph (Limeport, PA)/Marian High School (Tamaqua, PA)
- 1983-1989 St. Bertha (Tuscarora, PA)
- 1989-1994 Lehigh Univ. Newman Center (Bethlehem, PA)
- 1989-2002 Asst. Superintendent, Diocese Dept. of Education
- 1989-2002 Allentown Catholic High School (Allentown, PA)
- 1994-2002 St. Thomas More (Allentown, PA)
- 2002-2008 Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Northampton, PA)
- 2005-2015 Diocesan Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Dialogue
- 2008-2016 St. Ann (Emmanus, PA)
- 2016 Holy Family Villa (Bethlehem, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John Mraz:
Father John Mraz was arrested in Sept. 2016 for child pornography found on two of his computers. The Diocese of Allentown originally received the report from a parishioner who was updated the computers for Mraz and found countless images and videos of naked, underage boys. At the time of his arrest, Mraz had been away from the parish for approximately a month for medical reasons. The parishioners were never told of the child pornography investigation until the media reported on his arrest. Instead, they were asked to visit Mraz as he recovered from his illness and to pray for him. Even the assistant priest at the parish was not told of the child pornography allegations, according to media reports. Mraz later admitted to using his computers to search for child porn and to sexually abusing a child. He pled guilty to the charges and was sentenced to six to 23 months in jail in July 2017.
Mraz is a registered Tier 1 sex offender. His primary offense is listed as the sexual abuse of a child, referring to the children depicted in the images located on his computer.
Allegations against Mraz are not discussed in the August 2018 grand jury report.
He currently resides in Whitehall Township, Pennsylvania. He has never been laicized.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.