Father Albert J. Duggan
Diocese of Orange
Assigned as follows:
- 1933 St. Cecilia’s Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1934-1935 Christ the King Parish (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1936-1939 Holy Cross Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1940-1941 St. Mary’s Church (Santa Maria, CA)
- 1942-1943 St. Brendan’s Parish (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1944 St. John’s Church (Inglewood, CA)
- 1945-1947 St. Joseph’s Parish (Pomona, CA)
- 1948 Our Lady of Victory Church (Compton, CA)
- 1949-1950 St. Isadore Church (Los Alamitos, CA)
- 1951-1952 Military Chaplain
- 1953-1976 St. Frances of Rome Catholic Church (Azusa, CA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Albert J. Duggan:
Father Albert Joseph Duggan was accused of sexually abusing a 12-year old boy in a 2001 report to Los Angeles law enforcement. The abuse allegedly took place from 1969 to 1970 at St. Frances in Azusa, California. The victim said, at the time he believed that he was the only person this had happened to, and that nobody would believe a priest would do such a thing. Father Duggan was also accused in a 2003 civil lawsuit of sexually abusing a boy in approximately 1963 to 1967 at the same parish. Another allegation accusing Father Duggan of child sex abuse from 1955-60 at St. Frances in Azusa was also reported.
According to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Father Duggan stands accused of sexually abusing three children from 1963 to 1971. He retired in 1977 and died in 1979. Father Duggan was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors.
In July 2007, the 2001 complainant was included in the $660 million settlement with more than 500 victims of clergy sexual abuse from the Los Angeles Roman Catholic Archdiocese. Father Duggan’s personnel file “proffer” was released in January 2013. The file hinted that he was not Father Duggan’s only victim, and that his superiors knew he was an abuser. Proffers are summaries compiled in anticipation of litigation.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Orange. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Orange, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Orange now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.