Father Alfred Murphy
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1957: Augustinian College (Washington, DC)
- 1957-1959: Augustinian Preparatory Seminary (Staten Island, NY)
- 1959-1961: St. Nicholas of Tolentine (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1961-1962: St. Augustine, Andover, MA; St. Joseph’s (Ballardvale, MA)
- 1962-1968: St. Mary’s; Immaculate Conception; SS. Peter and Paul (Lawrence, MA)
- 1968-1972: St. Mary’s Hall (Villanova, PA)
- 1972-1984: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lawrence, MA)
- 1984-1986: Austin Preparatory School (Reading, MA)
- 1986-1992: Merrimack College (North Andover, MA)
- 1988-1992: Austin Preparatory School (Reading, MA)
- 1994-1997: Merrimack College (North Andover, MA)
- 1997-1999: Provincial Offices of the Order of St. Augustine, Province of St. Thomas of Villanova (Villanova, PA)
- 1999-2000: St. Augustine Friary (Villanova, PA)
- 2000-2005: St. Thomas Monastery (Villanova, PA)
- 2005-2009: St. Augustine Friary (Villanova, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Alfred Murphy:
Fr. Alfred Murphy was ordained a priest of the Augustinian Order. He was assigned to several states during his priesthood. He worked in Washington D.C., New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. According to media reports, in December 2002 his personnel file was released which noted that in 1992 the Augustinians settled a civil lawsuit that alleged he repeatedly sexually abused a 17-year-old boy over a 3-week period in 1983 during a cross-country trip in his new RV.
He reportedly told the boy the trip was to arrange religious retreats at other Catholic parishes. The boy tried to stay awake for as long as possible each night to prevent the abuse.
“Kids thought it was an honor to be taken on a trip by the priests, which is why it was extremely confusing for my client to be sexually abused,” the alleged victim’s lawyer said.
Murphy was removed from ministry and sent to live under supervision at the Augustinian provincial headquarters located in Villanova, Pennsylvania.
In October 2011, a second lawsuit was filed alleging Murphy sexually abused a minor boy from 1966 to 1968 when he worked at St. Mary’s in Lawrence, Massachusetts. The case was settled for $100,000. His name was not included in the Archdiocese of Boston’s database of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.