Father Alphonsus Smith
Archdiocese of Washington
Assigned as follows:
- 1990-1995 St. Bernardine of Siena Parish, (Suitland, MD)
- 1982-1990 Our Lady of Sorrows Parish (Takoma Park, MD)
- 1975-1982 Church of St. Matthias the Apostle (Lanham, MD)
- 1972-1975 St. John the Evangelist Parish (Clinton, MD)
- 1970-1972 St. Francis Xavier Parish (Newtowne, MD)
- 1964-1970 St. Hugh Parish (Greenbelt, MD)
- 1964-1964 St. John the Evangelist Parish (Silver Spring, MD)
- 1956-1964 St. Martin Parish (Washington, DC)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Alphonsus Smith:
According to media reports, in March 1995, Father Alphonsus Smith was one of four priests who admitted to molesting the same altar boy in the 1970s. He was criminally charged in another four indictments with abusing four boys, aged 11-17, in the 1970s and 1980s. The abuse occurred at St. Matthias, St. John’s, and Our Lady of Sorrows, where he admitted to sexually abusing one boy for five years, beginning in 1988.
Father Smith pleaded guilty in 1996, and was sentenced to 16 years in prison. One year later, his sentence was reduced to five years of supervised probation, which required that he remain in a treatment facility. He remained under care at the Vianney Center until his death in 2005.
At least one claim was included in the $1.3M settlement with Archdiocese of Washington in December 2006.
In October 2018, Father Smith’s name appeared publicly on the Archdiocese of Washington’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Washington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.