Monsignor Charles Engelhardt
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Assigned as follows:
- 1977-1983: Salesianum School (Wilmington, DE)
- 1983-1992: Northeast Catholic High School Faculty House (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1992-2000: Fr. Judge High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1998-2000: St. Jerome’s (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2000-2005: Mater Dolorosa (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2005-2007: St. Anthony of Padua (Wilmington, DE)
- 2007-2010: Resurrection of Our Lord (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2009-2011: Villa De Sales Oblate Residence (Wyndmoor, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor Charles Engelhardt:
Monsignor Charles Engelhardt, a priest of the Oblates of St. Francis DeSales, had been Secretary of Clergy for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia under Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua. According to media reports, in February 2011, as a result of a Philadelphia District Attorney’s investigation, he was charged along with another priest and a teacher, with orally sodomizing and molesting a 10 year-old altar boy in 1998 and 1999 at St. Jerome’s sacristy in Philadelphia. He was also accused also of giving the boy altar wine and showing him pornography. He denied the accusations.
Monsignor Engelhardt was named in 2005 Grand Jury Report. He was also arrested for knowingly putting children in harm’s way, and was convicted January 2013. He was sentenced to six to twelve years in prison. He died in November 2014.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.