Monsignor Charles Engelhardt
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Assigned as follows:
- 1977-1983 Salesianum School (Wilmington, DE)
- 1983-1992 Northeast Catholic High School Faculty House (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1992-2000 Fr. Judge High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1998-2000 St. Jerome’s (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2000-2005 Mater Dolorosa (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2005-2007 St. Anthony of Padua (Wilmington, DE)
- 2007-2010 Resurrection of Our Lord (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2009-2011 Villa De Sales Oblate Residence (Wyndmoor, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor Charles Engelhardt:
Monsignor Charles Engelhardt, a priest of the Oblates of St. Francis DeSales, had been Secretary of Clergy for the archdiocese under Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua. According to media reports, in February 2011, as a result of a Philadelphia District Attorney’s investigation, he was charged along with another priest and a teacher, with orally sodomizing and molesting a 10 year-old altar boy in 1998 and 1999 at St. Jerome’s sacristy in Philadelphia. He was also accused also of giving the boy altar wine and showing him pornography. He denied the accusations.
Monsignor Engelhardt was named in a report and included in a presentation made by the Philadelphia Grand Jury. He was also arrested for knowingly putting children in harm’s way, and was convicted January 2013. He was sentenced to six to twelve years in prison. He died in November 2014.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Philadelphia, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.