Father Cornelius Murphy
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1945-1946: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1946-1947: Our Lady of Martyrs (Auriesville, NY)
- 1947-1956: St. Joseph’s (Nome, AK)
- 1956-1965: Immaculate Conception (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1965-1973: St. Joseph’s (Nome, AK)
- 1965-1967: Immaculate Conception (Bethel, AK)
- 1965-1980: Family Life Office (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1971-1973: Tribunal (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1974-1978: Bishop’s Council (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1967-1982: Immaculate Conception (Fairbanks, AK)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Cornelius Murphy:
Fr. Cornelius Murphy was a Jesuit priest of the Oregon Province, ordained in 1945. He spent the majority of his career serving multiple parishes in Alaska, but he also served in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in January 2010, there was one pending claim against him shown in the bankruptcy reorganization documents for the Diocese of Fairbanks. In 2018, Fr. Murphy was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted allegations reported in 2009 in reference to abuse that took place in 1964-1967.
Fr. Murphy died in 1982.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.