Father Don Flickinger
Diocese of San Jose (Diocese of Fresno)
- 1965-1966: St. John Cathedral (Fresno, CA)
- 1966-1968: San Joaquin Memorial High School (Fresno, CA)
- 1968-1969: St. Helen (Fresno, CA)
- 1969-1970: San Joaquin Memorial High School (Fresno, CA)
- 1970-1972: St. Genevieve (Fresno, CA)
- 1972-1973: On duty outside the diocese
- 1973-1978: University of Santa Clara (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1978-1980: 2305 Golden Gate Avenue (San Francisco, CA)
- 1980-1981: Xavier Hall, University of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- 1981-1983: Mt. LaSalle Novitiate (Napa, CA)
- 1983-1984: Sacred Heart (San Francisco, CA)
- 1984-1987: San Francisco, CA
- 1987-1988: San Juan Bautista, CA
- 1988-1990: Our Lady Star of the Sea (Santa Cruz, CA)
- 1990-1991: P.O. Box 1070, San Juan Bautista, CA; St. Paul, San Francisco, CA (SFR)
- 1991-1992: St. Paul, San Francisco, CA; Sacred Heart Church, Saratoga, CA (SFR and SJ)
- 1992-1995: Sacred Heart Church, Saratoga, CA (1993-1995 in residence) (SJ)
- 1993-1994: Archbishop Mitty High School (San Jose, CA)
- 1995-2008: St. Francis Cabrini Church (San Jose, CA)
- 2008-2009: St. Paul (San Francisco, CA)
- 2013-current: New Bethany Residence (Los Banos, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Don Flickinger:
Fr. Don Flickinger was ordained a priest in 1964, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 2011, a lawsuit was filed accusing him of sexually abusing a 13-year-old boy in 2001. The alleged abuse took place at St. Frances Cabrini in San Jose, California. The lawsuit also alleged that church officials knew about Flickinger’s predatory behaviors for more than 40 years in San Francisco and Fresno, but did not act. In 2012, two more lawsuits were filed. The following year, all three suits were settled.
Prior to the he lawsuits, legal complaints surfaced in reference to Flickinger’s child sexual abuse. According to media reports, around 2005, members of the San Jose diocese seemed to limit Flickinger’s ministry in which he was then permanently banned from ministry in 2006, however, Flickinger was allowed to participate in funeral masses for other priests.
In 2018, Flickinger was included on the Diocese of San Jose list of clergy and religious who have been credibly accused of committing sexual abuse against a minor. It notes allegations reported in 2002, 2005, and 2006.
In 2019, he was also included on the Diocese of Santa Rosa list of clergy and religious who have been credibly accused of committing sexual abuse against a minor.
Fr. Flickinger is retired and, as of 2013, is believed to be living in New Bethany Residence in Los Banos, California.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.