Father Donald W. McIlvane
Diocese of Pittsburgh
Assigned as follows:
- 6/26/1952-6/12/1957: St. Stephen (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 6/13/1957-10/31/1960: St. Paul Cathedral (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 11/01/1960-6/26/1962: Resurrection (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 6/27/1962-4/20/1966: Chaplain Correctional Institution, Allegheny County Jail
- 4/21/1966-6/07/1976: St. Richard (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 6/08/1976-11/22/1985: Corpus Christi (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 11/23/1985-6/01/1992: Presentation of Virgin Mary (Midland, PA)
- 6/01/1992-12/01/1992: Sabbatical, St. John Fisher (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 12/01/1992-1/22/1993: St. John Fisher (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1/22/1993-6/27/1994: St. John Fisher (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 6/27/1994-12/30/1994: Motherhouse at Sisters of Divine Providence (Allison Park, PA)
- 9/29/2008-12/15/2008: Leave of Absence
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Donald W. McIlvane:
Father Donald McIlvane was ordained a priest in 1952, who served in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. According to media reports, in July 2008, the Diocese received a letter from a 43-year-old man who reported that in 1973, he was in the third grade at St. Richard’s and was serving as an altar boy. One day that year, he was not feeling well and Father McIIvane escorted him up to a bedroom in the rectory. After he lay down, McIIvane began to rub his stomach and thighs. The priest then started to rub his penis through his clothing and his penis became erect.
McIIvane then unzipped his pants and performed oral sex on the boy, and gave him $5.00. The male reported that between 1973 and 1977, McIIvane performed oral sex on him at least 40 times per year and that he was always paid afterward with money from the parish donations.
On October 29, 2008, the Diocesan Review Board met and reviewed the allegations. They accepted the written material submitted by the male and heard testimony from him. The Board determined that the allegation could not be substantiated because the information was inconclusive and unable to be verified. The Board then recommended, and Bishop Zubik accepted, that Donald Mcllvane be restored to priestly ministry. The Board voted unanimously that there was no semblance of truth to the allegations.
On January 20, 2009, Father David Bonnar wrote a letter to the male wherein he stated:
“I am sorry that the Independent Review Board did not come back with an outcome for which you were hoping. Nevertheless, the Diocese of Pittsburgh is still willing to offer counseling and spiritual direction to you.”
Donald McIlvane died in 2014 and is buried at Queen of Heaven Catholic Cemetery in McMurray, Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.