Father Edwin J. Collins
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1955-1957: St. Barnabas Apostle (Bellmore, NY)
- 1958-1959: St. Barnabas Apostle (Bellmore, NY)
- 1960-1961: Holy Name of Mary Residence (Valley Stream, NY)
- 1960-1967: St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary (Uniondale, NY)
- 1968: St. Mary’s (Manhasset, NY)
- 1969-1976: St. William the Abbot (Seaford, NY)
- 1977-1997: Our Lady of Lourdes (Malverne, NY)
- 1997-2000: Retired; Our Lady of Lourdes (Malverne, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Edwin J Collins:
According to media reports, in 1998, Fr. Edwin J Collins, a retired priest from Rockville Centre, was accused of sexually abusing a 13-year-old boy while at St. Matthew Catholic Church in Palm Beach, Florida. The boy, who spent the night at his home before a fishing outing, fought him off and immediately told church officials, and then Collins resigned. The vicar general wrote a detailed letter and placed it in his file. The Diocese of Rockville Centre was also notified.
In 2002, when Collins’ name was not released to the public with other clergy accused of child sexual abuse, the family immediately complained about the omission. The Diocese said it “missed” the file.
As of 2002, Collins was living in Wellington, Florida. His current whereabouts and whether he has access to children are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.