Father Franklyn Becker
Diocese of San Diego
Assigned as Follows:
- 1964-1968: Holy Assumption (West Allis, WI)
- 1968-1972: St. John de Nepomuc (Milwaukee, WI)
- 1972-1974: Holy Family (Whitefish Bay, WI)
- 1974-1975: St. William’s (Waukesha, WI)
- 1975-1976: Marshall University (Huntington, WV)
- 1976: St. Louis University (St. Louis, MO)
- 1977-1979: St. Brigid’s (San Diego, CA)
- 1979-1980: St. Margaret Mary’s (Milwaukee, WI)
- 1980: St. Joseph’s (Lyons, WI)
- 1980: St. Killian’s (Lyons, WI)
- 1980: St. Eugene’s (Fox Point, WI)
- 1980-1983: St. John’s (South Milwaukee, WI)
- 1983-1984: St. Joseph Hospital (Milwaukee, WI)
- 1984-1990: West Allis Memorial Hospital (West Allis, WI)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Franklyn Becker:
Father Franklyn Becker was ordained a priest in 1964, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Diego. According to media reports, in July 2002, he was removed from ministry due to several allegations made against him of sexual abuse. He was officially arrested in May 2003 on charges of abusing a 13 year-old boy while working at St. Brigid Catholic Church in Pacific Beach in the 1970’s. The criminal complaint includes two counts of oral copulation and two counts of child molestation.
In December of 2003, another suit was filed against Father Becker alleging child sexual abuse in 1982. It was dismissed again due to the statute of limitations, but was upheld by the appeals court in August of 2006. Another claim against Franklyn Becker was included in a $16.65 million dollar settlement in September of 2006. There have been nine official complaints of abuse against Father Becker from 1966 to 1982.
Most victims attended the parishes that Becker was assigned too over the years and several were altar boys who helped work in the church.
He was officially laicized from the church per the archdiocese in November of 2004.
His name has been included on San Diego’s updated list of credibly accused clergy and Wheeling-Charleston list as of 2018.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Diego in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Diego now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.