Father George O. Murtagh
Diocese of Burlington
Assigned as follows:
- 1950 St. Francis of Assisi (Windsor, VT)
- 1950-1951 St. Mary (Middlebury, VT)
- 1951-1952 Don Bosco Home (Burlington, VT)
- 1952-1953 St. Aloysius (St. Johnsbury, VT)
- 1953-1955 St. Paul (Barton, VT)
- 1955-1958 Cathedral (Burlington, VT)
- 1958-1963 U. S. Air Force
- 1963 St. Catherine (Shelburne, VT)
- 1963-1969 North American Martyrs/Queen of Peace (Marshfield & Danville, VT)
- 1969-1972 St. Alphonsus (Pittsford, VT)
- 1972-1976 St. Catherine (Shelburne, VT)
- 1976-1981 St. Mary (St. Albans, VT)
- 1981-1987 St. Ambrose (Bristol, VT)
- 1987-1991 Institute of Living and Cathedral of St. Joseph (Hartford, Connecticut)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father George O. Murtagh:
Father George O. Murtagh served in Vermont parishes for approximately 33 years. He resigned as pastor in October 1987 and transferred to the Institute of Living and Cathedral of St. Joseph in Hartford. He retired in 1991, and in December 1992, Bishop Kenneth A. Angell revoked his public priestly faculties. He died in 2011.
According to media reports, in August 2019, his name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Burlington’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Burlington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Burlington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Burlington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.