Father Gerald Hartz
Diocese of Fresno
Assigned as Follows:
- 1960-1962 Immaculate Conception (Cherokee, IA)
- 1964-1966 Bishop Heelan Catholic High School (Sioux City, IA)
- 1967-1971 St. Joseph’s (Granville, IA)
- 1972-1984 St. Edmund High School (Fort Dodge, IA)
- 1985 St. Joseph’s (Barnum, IA)
- 1986-1987 St. Rose of Lima (Denison, IA)
- 1988-1994 St. Cecelia’s (Algona, IA)
- 1995-1996 St. Lawrence (Carroll, IA)
- 1997-2000 Monastery of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns (Sioux City, IA)
- 1999-2003 Holy Spirit Retirement Home (Sioux City, IA)
- 2004-2019 Various assignments in the Diocese of Fresno: Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Christ the King, St. Joseph, San Clemente
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Gerald Hartz:
Fr. Gerald Hartz was ordained a priest in 1959, who served in the Diocese of Fresno. He was the former superintendent of Sioux City Catholic Schools and also apart of the Sioux City Diocese. According to media reports, a survivor came forward alleging that he sexually abused a 13-year-old girl in approximately 1995. The victim and her family eventually decided to not participate in prosecution, but Fr. Hartz did have to leave Carroll, Iowa where the incident took place, as well as get counseling.
A year later, another young lady came forward and alleged that Fr. Hartz had grabbed her and kissed her neck in December of 1994. He was not charged for either offense and was able to move to Bakersfield, California under the Diocese of Fresno. He has been assisting at Christ the King Church and Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
More than 20 years after Fr. Hartz was accused of both incidents, the Diocese finally deemed the allegations credible. In 2019, he was finally banned from most of his priestly duties and his name was said to be put on the Sioux City Diocese’s list of credibly accused clergy. The list finally appeared in February of 2019, and his name was not listed.
Hartz died in March 2022.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Fresno in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Fresno now have legal options due to a temporary change in California law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us toll-free at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.