Father Gregory Kareta
Diocese of Fresno (Franciscan)
- 1957: Unknown
- 1958-1963: St. Hedwig’s (Detroit, MI)
- 1963- 1964: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Hermosa Beach, CA)
- 1964-1965: St. Josephat’s (Milwaukee, WI)
- 1966-1971: Bishop Montgomery High School (Torrance, CA)
- 1971-1978: St. Paul the Apostle (Pismo Beach, CA)
- 1978-1979 Queen of Angels (Riverside, CA)
- 1979-1980: St. Joseph’s (Barstow, CA)
- 1981-1982 Our Lady of Guadalupe (Riverside, CA)
- 1984-1996 St. Paul the Apostle (Coalinga, CA)
- 2003 Retired; St. Joseph Cupertine Friary (Arroyo Grande, CA)
- 1981-1982: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Riverside, CA)
- 1983: Unknown
- 1984-1996: St. Paul the Apostle (Coalinga, CA)
- 1996-2002: St. Joseph’s (Avenal, CA)
- 2003: Retired
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Greg Kareta:
Fr. Gregory Kareta was ordained a priest of the Order of Friars Minor Conventual in 1956, who served in the Diocese of Fresno. According to media reports, in 1985, he allegedly admitted that he sexually abused a child in the 1960s while he was on assignment in Wisconsin, but the Archdiocese of Los Angeles permitted him to remain in ministry.
In 2003, Fr. Kareta was accused of sexually abusing an 11-year-old boy between 1973 and 1974 while at St. Paul the Apostle, Pismo Beach. Three other alleged victims corroborated the charges, but ultimately, they were dropped due to Statute of Limitations.
Fr. Kareta was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ Report to the People of God: Clergy Sexual Abuse Archdiocese of Los Angeles in the Religious Order Priests and Brothers section. Fr. Kareta died in 2006. His status as a priest, whereabouts, and whether he had access to children from 2004 until his death is unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Fresno in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Fresno now have legal options due to a temporary change in California law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us toll-free at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.