Father John Coughlin
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1934-1938: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1939-1943: Mt. St. Michael’s Scholasticate (Spokane, WA)
- 1943-1948: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1948-1950: St. Francis Xavier’s (Missoula, MT)
- 1950-1951: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1951-1957: Seattle Prep. High School (Seattle, WA)
- 1957-1958: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1958-1963: Gonzaga Prep. High School (Spokane, WA)
- 1963-1965: Bellarmine High School (Tacoma, WA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father John Coughlin:
Fr. John Coughlin was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1934, who served in multiple dioceses including in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 2007, based on the statement released by the Diocese of Spokane, Coughlin was the subject of an accusation that was found to be proven or credibly accused of sexual abuse. In 2016, he was included on the Archdiocese of Seattle list of clergy and religious with admitted, established, or credible allegations against them of sexual abuse of a minor.
In 2018, Coughlin name was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted an allegation reported in 2006 of abuse that took place in 1949-1950. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims or the nature of the alleged sexual abuse is unknown.
Fr. Coughlin died in 1965.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.