Father Joseph Maffei
Diocese of Newark
Assigned as follows:
- 1958-1967 St. Dominic Savio Juniorate, St. Dominic Savio Retreat House, Camp Salesian for Boys (Cedar Lake, IN)
- 1968-1970 Sacred Heart Juniorate (Ipswich, MA)
- 1970-1972 Eglise St. Domenico Savio (Montreal, Quebec/Canada
- 1972-1978 Salesian High School (New Rochelle, NY)
- 1978-1981 Sacred Heart Retreat House (Ipswich, MA)
- 1981-1984 Our Lady of the Rosary (Port Chester, NY)
- 1984-1989 St. Anthony (Elizabeth, NJ)
- 1989-1994 Don Bosco Retreat Center and Marian Shrine (West Haverstraw, NY
- 1994-2000 Salesian Provincial House (New Rochelle, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Joseph Maffei:
Father Joseph Maffei was a native of Italy and came to the US in 1952. He was a priest of the Salesians of Don Bosco, Province of St. Philip the Apostle. He worked in minor seminaries, retreat houses for youth, and parishes in various locations throughout his career. He died in 2009.
According to media reports, Father Maffei was accused in a lawsuit filed in 2013 of having sexually abused a 12-year-old boy at the Marian Shrine in New Rochelle, New York, in 1978. The alleged abuse included explicit sexual behavior and lewd and lascivious conduct. He was assigned to Sacred Heart Retreat House in Ipswich, Massachusetts at the time. His accuser also said two other Salesian priests, Father Sean Rooney and Brother Alan Scheneman, abused him as well. The case was settled. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Newark. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Newark, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Newark now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.