Monsignor Joseph Pacheco
Diocese of Monterey
- 1957-1961: US N.O.T.S. (Naval Ordnance Test Station) (China Lake, CA)
- 1961-1967: St. Aloysius (Tulare, CA)
- 1961-1967: St. Rita’s (Tulare, CA)
- 1967-1971: Sacred Heart (Merced, CA)
- 1967-1973: St. George’s (El Nido, CA)
- 1971-1973: Catholic Church of Merced (Merced, CA)
- 1971-1973: St. John the Baptist (Hopeton, CA)
- 1973-1977: On Duty Outside the Diocese/Pontifical College Josephinum (Worthington, OH)
- 1977-1981: Catholic Church of Merced (Merced, CA)
- 1977-1981: St. John the Baptist (Hopeton, CA)
- 1977-1981: St. George (El Nido, CA)
- 1981-1986: Holy Ghost (Gustine, CA)
- 1981-1987: Vicars Forane (Fresno, CA)
- 1982-1992: Diocesan Finance Committee (Fresno, CA)
- 1982-1984: Senate of Priests (Fresno, CA)
- 1983-1987: Bishop’s Advisory Council (Fresno, CA)
- 1986-1992: Our Lady of Miracles (Gustine, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Monsignor Joseph Pacheco:
Msgr. Joseph Pacheco was ordained a priest in 1957, who served in the Diocese of Monterey and in Fresno. According to media reports, Pacheco was accused in a 2003 lawsuit of having sexually abused an altar boy between 1965-1968, while teaching at St. Rita’s in Tulare, California and Sacred Heart in Merced, California.
In 2004, the Bishop of Monterey presented a letter listing the cases filed against the Diocese of Monterey involving sexual misconduct, and Fr. Joseph Pacheco was listed under the “cases involving allegations of sexual misconduct that occurred before December 18, 1967, or allegations that misconduct occurred in the geographic area of what is now the Diocese of Fresno”.
The lawsuit was settled in 2006, and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fresno said that it has agreed to pay the plaintiff $750,000. Bishop Steinbeck publicly apologized for the sexual abuse done by Pacheco. He also acknowledged the fact that Joseph Pacheco had more than one victim through his work in the Monterey and Fresno Dioceses.
Pacheco died in 1992.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Monterey in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Monterey now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Monterey, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.