Fr. Joseph Pacheco
Diocese of Monterey
- 1957-1961 S. N.O.T.S. (Naval Ordnance Test Station) (China Lake, CA)
- 1961-1967 Aloysius (Tulare, CA)
- 1961-1967 Rita’s (Tulare, CA)
- 1967-1971 Sacred Heart (Merced, CA)
- 1967-1973 George’s (El Nido, CA)
- 1971-1973 Catholic Church of Merced (Merced, CA)
- 1971-1973 John the Baptist (Hopeton, CA)
- 1973-1977 On Duty Outside the Diocese/Pontifical College Josephinum (Worthington, OH)
- 1977-1981 Catholic Church of Merced (Merced, CA)
- 1977-1981 John the Baptist (Hopeton, CA)
- 1977-1981 George (El Nido, CA)
- 1981-1986 Holy Ghost (Gustine, CA)
- 1981-1987 Vicars Forane (Fresno, CA)
- 1982-1992 Diocesan Finance Committee (Fresno, CA)
- 1982-1984 Senate of Priests (Fresno, CA)
- 1983-1987 Bishop’s Advisory Council (Fresno, CA)
- 1986-1992 Our Lady of Miracles (Gustine, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Joseph Pacheco:
Fr. Joseph Pacheco was accused in a 2003 lawsuit of having sexually abused an altar boy between 1965-1968, while Pacheco served at Merced and Tulare parishes.
In 2003, the victim stated that he was molested by Fr. Joseph Pacheco during the 1960s while the priest taught at St. Rita’s in Tulare, California and Sacred Heart in Merced, California.
In 2004, the Bishop of Monterey presented a letter listing the cases filed against the Diocese of Monterey involving sexual misconduct, and Fr. Joseph Pacheco was listed under the “cases involving allegations of sexual misconduct that occurred before December 18, 1967, or allegations that misconduct occurred in the geographic area of what is now the Diocese of Fresno”.
In 2006, Fresno Bishop Steinbock acknowledged the abuse occurred, publicly apologized to the victim, and said the diocese had learned since 2003 that Pacheco had sexually abused other boys.
In 2006, according to media reports, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fresno said that it has agreed to pay the plaintiff $750,000 to settle the lawsuit.
According to media reports, the victim’s lawyer said he discovered that Pacheco invited several eighth-grade boys to spend the weekend with him at the Tulare church and that church officials never stopped him.
Pacheco died in 1992.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Monterey in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Monterey now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Monterey, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.