Father Kevin Downey
Diocese of Paterson
Assigned as follows:
- 1982-1983 St. Bonaventure Friary (Allegany, NY)
- 1983-1985 Quincy College (Quincy, IL)
- 1985-1986 St. Anthony (Butler, NJ)
- 1986-1991 Quincy College (Quincy, IL)
- 1991-1993 St. Francis of Assisi (Raleigh, NC)
- 1994-1996 Unknown
- 1997-1999 Our Lady of the Assumption (Pompton Lakes, NJ)
- 2000-2002 St. Bonaventure (Allegany, NY)
- 2000-2002 St. John the Baptist (Vandalia, NY)
- 2003-2011 Our Lady of the Assumption (Pompton Lakes, NJ)
- 2011-2016 St. Francis of Assisi (Triangle, VA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Kevin Downey:
Father Kevin Downey is a priest of the Franciscan Friars of Holy Name Province. He had various parish assignments in the dioceses of Buffalo, NY, Butler, NJ, Raleigh, NC, Paterson, NJ and Arlington, VA. From the 1980s until 1991, he worked in the Diocese of Springfield IL, at the Franciscan’s Quincy College.
According to media reports, in May 2016, the Diocese of Arlington in Virginia quietly announced that Father Downey was suspended during an investigation of sexual misconduct with a male minor. He denied the allegation. The alleged abuse occurred in 1990 ” in another state.” According to the Official Catholic Directory, Father Downey was working at Quincy College in Illinois in 1990.
In April 2017, Holy Name Province announced that the claim was found to be credible. Father Downey was permanently removed from all public ministries.
In October 2018, Father Downey’s name first appeared publicly on the Diocese of Raleigh’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
His current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Paterson. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Paterson, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Paterson now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.