Father Laurent LaPlante
Diocese of Portland
Assigned as follows:
- 1957: St. Ignatius (Northeast Harbor, ME)
- 1957-1959: St. Charles (Brunswick, ME)
- 1959-1967: St. Thomas (Dover-Foxcroft, ME)
- 1967-1972: Religious Education Director for Diocese of Portland
- 1972-1978: St. Matthew (Hampden, ME)
- 1978-1983: St. Margaret (Old Orchard Beach, ME)
- 1983-1989: St. Matthew (Limerick, ME)
- 1989-1995: St. Andre (Biddeford, ME)
- 1995-2005: St. Martha (Kennebunk, ME)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Laurent LaPlante:
Fr. Laurent LaPlante was ordained a priest in 1957, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Portland. According to media reports, in 2005, a 15-year-old high school girl reported an allegation of inappropriate touching in 1999 against Fr. LaPlante. The alleged victim said the priest touched her pants on the knee and inner thigh when she was 9 years old. He was removed from his assignment at St. Martha and the allegation was reported to authorities. Fr. Laplante denied any wrongdoing, and the church launched an investigation.
In 2006, the Diocese of Portland cleared Fr. LaPlante of allegations of sexual misconduct citing insufficient evidence. He returned to his position as pastor of St. Martha’s Parish following the announcement.
Fr. LaPlante died in 2011.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Portland in Maine. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Maine, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Portland now have legal options, but filing deadlines may apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Maine and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.