Father Loville Martlock
Diocese of Buffalo
Assigned as follows:
- 1964 St. John the Evangelist, (Sinclairville, NY)
- 1965-1966 Infant Jesus of Prague (Cheektowaga, NY)
- 1967 Holy Family (Buffalo, NY)
- 1968-1972 St. Christopher (Tonawanda, NY)
- 1973-1977 Fourteen Holy Helpers (Gardenville, NY)
- 1978-1979 Cardinal Mindszenty High School (Dunkirk, NY)
- 1980-1981 St. John de La Salle (Niagara Falls, NY)
- 1982-1983 St. Elizabeth (Cherry Creek, NY)
- 1984-1986 St. Mary’s Diocesan High School (Lancaster, NY)
- 1987-1988 Sacred Heart (Bowmansville, NY)
- 1989-1990 On duty outside the Diocese (Brazil South America)
- 1991 Maryknoll Foreign Missions
- 1992 St. Benedict the Moor (Buffalo, NY)
- 1993 Notre Dame High School of Batavia, (Batavia, NY) Sacred Heart of Jesus Church (Bennington Center, NY)
- 1994 Unknown
- 1995 Absent on leave
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Loville Martlock:
According to media reports, in October 1993, Father Loville Martlock was placed on medical leave and sent to an out-of-state treatment facility after he was accused of sexually abusing an 8-year-old boy beginning in 1974 until 1978. He was a religion teacher at Notre Dame High School at the time.
The victim said he was abused in the priests’ home at the former Cardinal Mindszenty High School in Dunkirk; in the rectory at Fourteen Holy Helpers in West Seneca; and in motels along the East Coast during a week-long vacation trip with him.
Father Martlock retired in 2002, and no longer functioning as a priest. He died in 2014.
In March 2018, Father Martlock’s name was included in the Diocese of Buffalo’s list of priests who “were removed from ministry, were retired, or left ministry after allegations of sexual abuse of a minor.” No information regarding the allegations was disclosed, however, the list includes deceased priests only if they have more than one allegation.
In September 2018, a Buffalo deacon said that he was sexually abused by Father Martlock and Father Mark Friel when he was 16 years old, while on a camping trip to Utah with another boy. The last day of the trip, the deacon said Father Martlock gave him Coors beer before massaging him and groping him inside a tent until he fought off the priest’s advances.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Buffalo. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Buffalo, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Buffalo now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.