Fr. Philip Altavilla
Diocese of Scranton
Assigned as follows:
- 7/1992 – 6/1995: St. Mary of Mt. Carmel (Dunmore, PA)
- 6/1996 – 7/1996: Holy Trinity (Nanticoke, PA)
- 7/1996 – 3/2000: St. Patrick, St. John the Baptist, Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel, Holy Cross (Scranton, PA)
- 3/2000 – 7/2000: Church of the Immaculate Conception (Taylor, PA)
- 7/2000 – 11/2004: Immaculate Conception, St. John the Baptist (Taylor, PA)
- 11/2004 – 2/2008: St. Thomas More (Lake Ariel, PA)
- 2/2008 – 7/2009: Nativity of Our Lord Church (Scranton, PA)
- 7/2009 – 9/2009: Holy Cross High School (Dunmore, PA)
- 9/ 2009 – 7/2010: Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, St. John the Evangelist (Scranton, PA)
- 7/2010 – 11/2010: Immaculate Conception (Scranton, PA)
- 11/2010 – 4/2014: St. Peter’s Cathedral (Scranton, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Philip Altavilla:
According to media reports, Fr. Philip Altavilla served as the Vicar General of the Diocese of Scranton for a period of time before a 2014 arrest for molesting a teenage girl in 1998. According to the charges, he admitted to molesting the girl during a controlled call by police. The incident occurred after a midnight mass at St. Patrick’s in Scranton. He also admitted to sexual fetishes including pantyhose, strangulation, and chloroform.
The Diocese removed him and suspended his faculties. The charges against Fr. Altavilla were dropped in August 2014 due to the expiration of the statute of limitations. A related civil suit was later settled by the Diocese of Scranton.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Pennsylvania and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.