Father Ramon Varela
Diocese of Orange (Franciscan)
- 1949-1955: Native American Mission, AZ
- 1955-1960: St. Mary’s (Stockton, CA)
- 1960-1962: Mission San Miguel (San Miguel, CA)
- 1962-1963: St. Peter’s (Bapchule, AZ)
- 1963-1967: Sacred Heart (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1967-1968: St. Elizabeth’s (Oakland CA)
- 1968-1970: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Fresno, CA)
- 1970-1972: Our Lady of Guadalupe (San Jose, CA)
- 1972-1976: Ascension (Portland, OR)
- 1975-1978: Saints Simon and Jude (Huntington Beach, CA)
- 1978-1979: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Delano, CA)
- 1979 Sacred Heart (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1979-1993: St. Francis Home (Santa Ana, NM)
- 1993-2001: Elder Care Facilities (NM)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Ramon Varela:
Fr. Ramon Varela was ordained a Franciscan priest in 1949, who served in the Diocese of Orange. According to media reports, he was named publicly as accused by the Franciscans’ Santa Barbara Province on its 2019 list of Friars that are Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor. It notes a report was made in 1994, alleging that Fr. Varela sexually abused minors from 1949 to 1979.
Fr. Varela died in 2002. His status as a priest and whether he had access to children from 1993 until his death is unknown.
In 2019, his name was included on multiple lists of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse, including the Diocese of Oakland, Diocese of Phoenix. In November 2020, his name appeared on the Diocese of Stockton’s Revised list.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Orange in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Orange now have legal options due to a temporary change in California law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.