Father Raymond Devlin
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1955-1956: Alma College-Theology Student (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1956-1957: Our Lady of Martyrs Tertianship (Auriesville, NY)
- 1957-1965: St. Ignatius High School (San Francisco, CA)
- 1965-1972: Bellarmine College Prep. High School (San Jose, CA)
- 1971-1976: Santa Clara County Boys’ Ranch (Morgan Hill, CA)
- 1972-1977: University at Elm (San Jose, CA)
- 1977-1989: St. Mary’s (Ogden, UT)
- 1977-1989: Santa Maria (Ogden, UT)
- 1977-1989: St. Joseph High School (Ogden, UT)
- 1990-1992: Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1995-1997: Cathedral of the Annunciation (Stockton, CA)
- 1993-2011: Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Raymond Devlin:
Fr. Raymond Devlin was ordained a priest in 1955, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 1990, he was accused of sexually abusing a 14-year-old boy while he was in California for a track meet in 1989. Devlin was a teacher and the boy’s track coach at St. Joseph High School in Ogden, Utah.
The family of the victim told Salt Lake diocesan officials and decided to remain silent and not prosecute him as long as Devlin was sent for counseling and removed from having any contact with children. Devlin was removed from ministry in 1990 and sent to the Jesuits Community in Los Gatos, California to seek counseling for 3 months.
In 1993, the victim’s family learned that Devlin was in contact with minors in Virginia City, Nevada, so they chose to speak publicly about the abuse their 14-year-old boy endured. Devlin was removed and sent back to Los Gatos, California where he lived until his death.
According to media reports, Devlin’s obituary states he served at some point at St. Thomas More in Paradise, CA, and at Our Lady of Peace in Santa Clara in later years. Also, the Catholic Directory 1995-1997 shows him in Los Gatos and at the Cathedral in Stockton, CA.
In 2018, Devlin was included on a list of priests on Salt Lake City Diocese’s list and Jesuits West Province list who was named as being credibly accused of child sex abuse.
In 2019, Devlin was included on a list of priests on the Las Vegas Diocese’s list who was named as being credibly accused of child sex abuse.
Devlin died in 2011.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.