Father Robert Hermley
Diocese of Trenton
Assigned as follows:
- 1955 De Sales Hall (Washington, DC)
- 1956 St. Francis de Sales (Toledo, OH)
- 1958-1965 Father Judge High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1966 Mission House of the Oblates of St. Francis De Sales (Toledo, OH)
- 1967-1978 Father Judge High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1979-1980 Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Seaside Heights, NJ)
- 1981-1982 Padua Academy Residence (Wilmington, DE)
- 1983-1988 Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (Vienna, VA)
- 1989 Unknown
- 1990-1991 Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (Vienna, VA)
- 1992 St. Mary (Fredericksburg, VA)
- 1993-2000 Seton Home Study
- 2001 Little Sisters of the Poor (Newark, NJ)
- 2003-2006 Oblates of St. Francis De Sales Retirement and Retreat Center (Childs, MD)
- 2007-2008 Unknown
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Robert Hermley:
Father Robert Hermley was a priest of Oblates of St. Francis De Sales religious order. According to media reports, in June 1982, he was convicted in Pennsylvania of indecent assault of two minor boys age 13 and 14 while on assignment at Padua Academy in Wilmington, Delaware. He was arrested for watching pornographic film with the boys in a parked car at a drive-in theater. Nineteen pornographic magazines were confiscated from his car.
He was sentenced to three years probation. Johns Hopkins University physicians examined Father Hermley and determined he did not need help. In December of the same year he was reinstated to ministry in Vienna, Virginia.
In May 1987, a woman reported to the Oblates that Father Hermley sexually abused her son when he was 10 or 11-years old in the early 1980s while serving at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Seaside Heights, in New Jersey. Local authorities were not contacted. The allegation was handled by the Oblates.
In September 2003, Father Hermley was accused of sexually abusing a 13-year-old boy while on assignment at Father Judge High School for Boys, in Philadelphia between 1976 and 1980. This time, the DA’s Office and law enforcement were contacted.
Father Hermley retired in 2003. He was named in the Philadelphia Grand Jury report released in 2005. He died in August 2009.
In August 2011, his name was released as part of the Oblates’ settlement of $24.8 million reached with 40 plaintiffs.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Trenton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Trenton, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Trenton now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.