Fr. Sean Leo Rooney, S.D.B.
Salesians of Don Bosco
Archdiocese of Newark/Diocese of Paterson
- 1959-1968: St. Dominic Savio High School, Boston, MA
- 1968-1971: Salesian Day High School for Boys; Salesian Resident Junior Seminary; Camp Salesian for Boys; Salesian Retreat House for Boys; Salesian Boys Club, Cedar Lake, IN
- 1971-1975: Don Bosco Technical High School, Paterson, NJ
- 1975-1979: Archbishop Shaw High School, Marrero, LA
- 1979-1981: Salesian Junior Seminary, Goshen, NY
- 1981-1983: Don Bosco High School for Boys, Ramsey, NJ
- 1983-2003: St. John Bosco Church, Birmingham, AL
- 1983-2003: Holy Rosary, Birmingham (Gate City), AL
- 2003-2008: Salesian Provincial House, New Rochelle, NY
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Sean Leo Rooney:
In 2013, Fr. Sean Leo Rooney was named in a lawsuit filed by a man who alleged that Rooney sexually abused him as was a fourteen-year-old student at Goshen Junior Seminary in Goshen, New York. Rooney was a teacher at the time. The case settled in 2014.
In New Jersey, Rooney also had assignments in the Archdiocese of Newark and the Diocese of Paterson.
Rooney was laicized in 2008 according to a statement by the Salesians. The reasons leading up to his laicization were not made public, but we do not rule out that they related to allegations of sexual abuse received by the Order.
In February 2020, Rooney was named in a new lawsuit filed against the Salesians and Diocese of Paterson. According to media reports, the Plaintiff alleges he was sexually abused by Rooney on 100 occasions during Rooney’s assignment to Don Bosco High School in the 1970s.
Rooney’s last assignment as a Salesian, before his 2002 removal, was to a low-income community in the Birmingham, Alabama area. He served as administrator of a ministry outreach program designed for the youth in local housing projects. Rooney is listed on the Salesian’s 2021 List of Clergy Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor.
Rooney is believed to be residing in the Prescott, Arizona area. He is now approximately 82 years old.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark and the Diocese of Paterson in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New Jersey, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark and the Diocese of Paterson now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.