Father Stephen M. Garrity, s.j.
Archdiocese of Washington
Assigned as follows:
- 1971 – 1979 St. Joseph’s Preparatory School, (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1980 – 1982 Jesuit Community at St. Joseph’s Univ. (Merion Station, PA)
- 1982 – 1985 Loyola High School (Baltimore, MD)
- 1982 – 1985 Province Office (Baltimore, MD)
- 1985 – 1991 Scranton Preparatory School (Scranton, PA)
- 1991 – 2001 Loyola on the Potomac Retreat House (Faulkner, MD)
- 2001 – 2007 Holy Cross Parish (Durham, NC)
- 2007 – 2008 Jesuit Fathers and Brothers Provincial Curia (Baltimore, MD)
- 2008 – 2011 Jesuit Center – Jesuit Community (Wernersville, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Stephen M. Garrity:
According to media reports, in 2007, Father Stephen M. Garrity was removed from ministry by the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus. He was serving at Holy Cross Church in Durham, NC. The decision for removal came after Father Garrity admitted to inappropriate sexual contact with five adults, ages 18-23. The abuse happened in the early 1980s, while he served in Baltimore and Philadelphia. He was sent for evaluation and received therapy.
In January 2013, the Jesuits told the Philadelphia district attorney that they received a credible allegation that Father Garrity had inappropriate physical contact with a minor student at St. Joseph’s Preparatory School in North Philadelphia, in the 1970s.
Father Garrity lived in a monitored, residential treatment facility run by the Jesuit community in Pennsylvania until his death in 2014.
In December 2018, Father Garrity’s name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus’ list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors since 1950. It noted multiple allegations had been made against Garrity.
In February 2019, Father Garrity’s name appeared on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. His name does not appear on the Archdiocese of Washington’s list.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Washington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.