Father Thomas Naughton
Archdiocese of New Orleans
- 1965-1966: Bellarmine School of Theology (North Aurora, IL)
- 1966-1967: St. Stanislaus Novitiate (Cleveland, OH)
- 1967-1968: Jesuit High School (El Paso, TX)
- 1968-1970: Jesuit High School (Tampa, FL)
- 1970-1972: St. Louis University (St. Louis, MO)
- 1972-1973: Loyola University (New Orleans, LA)
- 1973-1979: Jesuit College Preparatory School (Dallas, TX)
- 1979-1980: Jesuit School of Theology (Berkeley, CA)
- 1980-1982: Not indexed in the Directories
- 1982-1989: Manresa House of Retreats (Convent, LA)
- 1989-1990: Strake Jesuit College Preparatory School (Houston, TX)
- 1990-1991: Immaculate Conception (New Orleans, LA)
- 1991-1995: Montserrat Retreat House (Lake Dallas, TX)
- 1995-April 2002: St. Kilian’s (Mission Viejo, CA)
- April 2002: (New Orleans, LA)
- Aug. 2012: (Laguna Woods, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Thomas Naughton
In December 2018, the Jesuits U.S. Central and Southern Province publicly named Fr. Thomas Naughton on its list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of a minor. According to the list, Fr. Naughton allegedly abused minors in the 1970s.
While the Jesuits have not shared additional details about the scope and nature of the abuse, they have deemed the allegations credible.
A credible allegation exists if the “provincial believes, with moral certitude, after careful investigation and review by professionals that an incident of sexual abuse of a minor or a vulnerable adult occurred . . . with the possibility that it did not occur being highly unlikely,” according to the Jesuits’ website.
2002 Allegation and Removal
In April of 2002, church officials placed Fr. Thomas Naughton on leave after a former student alleged the priest abused him when he was a sophomore at Jesuit College Preparatory School 24 years prior. Fr. Naughton, principal of Jesuit College Preparatory from 1973 to 1979, “left in a hurry,” says a former board member of Jesuit Prep.
While church officials initially claimed this was the only allegation of sexual abuse against Fr. Naughton, reports indicate two complaints of misconduct were communicated to leadership in 1979.
According to a former president of Jesuit College Preparatory, Fr. Naughton allegedly groped a young faculty member in a locker room. It was also reported that Fr. Naughton was seen with someone in a “one-person tub” by student-athletes.
Further details about the reported abuse are not publicly available.
Fr. Thomas Naughton’s Career
Ordained in June 1965, Fr. Thomas Naughton spent approximately 37 years in ministry, working in high schools, parishes, and retreat houses. After Fr. Naughton’s removal in 2002, his whereabouts are unknown.
Fr. Thomas Naughton died in Laguna Woods, California, on August 12, 2012.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Louisiana, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Alexandria may now have legal options but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Louisiana and nationwide. We can help.