Monsignor Joseph Francis Sharpe
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Assigned as follows:
- 1943-1944 Holy Name (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1944 Transfiguration (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1944-1946 U.S Navy chaplain
- 1946 Visitation (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1946-1948 St. Agnes (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1949-1950 U.S Navy
- 1951 Our Lady of Victory (Compton, CA)
- 1951-1952 Catholic University (Washington D.C.)
- 1952 Our Lady of Guadalupe (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1952-1953 Catholic Girls School (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1953-1954 Pius X High School (Downey, CA); St. Emydius (Lynwood, CA)
- 1955 U.S Navy Tour of Duty
- 1956-1959 Unknown
- 1960 Superintendent of Schools (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1960-1964 Christ the King (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1964-1973 Santa Clara (Oxnard, CA)
- 1976 Incardinated into Diocese of Orange
- 1976-1977 St. John the Baptist (Costa Mesa, CA)
- 1978-1998 St. John Vianney (Balboa Island, CA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor Joseph Francis Sharpe:
Joseph Share was ordained a priest in 1943 and served in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. According to media reports, at least two survivors have come forward alleging child sexual abuse by Monsignor Joseph F. Sharpe between approximately 1958 and 1964. In 1971, a survivor wrote to Archbishop Manning and alleged that his confessor Monsignor Sharpe sexually abused him while he was a junior in high school. That same year, two sisters informed the Archdiocese of Los Angeles that Monsignor Sharpe engaged in an “improper relationship” with them.
The Archdiocese Personnel Board forced Monsignor Sharpe to resign in 1973 for “various personal problems” and undisclosed “job performance issues.” Shortly after his forced resignation in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Sharpe was incardinated in June 1976 into the Diocese of Orange.
Monsignor Sharpe retired in 1998 and died in November 1999. He was named in a 2003 civil lawsuit. He was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. His personnel file was released in January 2013.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in California State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Los Angeles and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.