Msgr. William Jones
Diocese of Allentown
Elevated to Monsignor: 1991
Removed from ministry: 2002
Assigned as follows:
- 1960-1963: Annunciation B.V.M. (Shenandoah, PA)
- 1963-1968: St. Ambrose (Schuylkill Haven, PA)
- 1968-1969: St. Francis of Assisi (Allentown, PA)
- 1969-1975: St. Jane Frances de Chantal (Easton, PA)
- 1970-1972: Notre Dame High School (Easton, PA)
- 1974-1975: St. Mary (St. Clair, PA)/Nativity B.V.M. High School (Pottsville, PA)
- 1975-1978: St. Joseph (Summit Hill, PA)
- 1978-1981: St. Vincent de Paul (Minersville, PA)
- 1981-1983: Diocesan Board of Education (West Schuylkill, PA)
- 1983-1984: St. Patrick (Pottsville, PA)
- 1984-1996: Various diocesan administrative positions
- 1996-1999: Dean of South Schuylkill Deanery
- 1999-2002: Various diocesan administrative positions, including Vicar Forane
- April 2002: Resigned
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Msgr. William Jones:
Msgr. William Jones was ordained a priest in 1960, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. According to media reports, in 2004, he was named in a lawsuit filed by a man who claimed he was one of several boys molested by Jones during a trip, and on other occasions, from 1978 until 1980. The suit was dismissed by the Court in 2005 due to the expiration of the statute of limitations.
Very little is mentioned about the allegations against Jones in the most recent PA grand jury report. However, our experience tells us that, from his assignment history alone, there are several red flags that the Diocese of Allentown may have become aware that Jones was acting inappropriately with minors at some point in his career.
For example, his assignments to so many high schools in such a short amount of time suggests that trouble quickly arose when he arrived in a new place. Those transfers, and the reasons for them, would absolutely be the subject of additional investigation in any lawsuits filed against the Diocese of Allentown by victims of Jones.
Jones died in 2004.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.