Msgr. William E. Jones
Diocese of Allentown (Pennsylvania)
Elevated to Monsignor: 1991
Removed from ministry: 2002
Named in civil lawsuit: 2004
Assigned as follows:
- 1960-1963 Annunciation B.V.M. (Shenandoah, PA)
- 1963-1968 St. Ambrose (Schuylkill Haven, PA)
- 1968-1969 St. Francis of Assisi (Allentown, PA)
- 1969-1975 St. Jane Frances de Chantal (Easton, PA)
- 1970-1972 Notre Dame High School (Easton, PA)
- 1974-1975 St. Mary (St. Clair, PA)/Nativity B.V.M. High School (Pottsville, PA)
- 1975-1978 St. Joseph (Summit Hill, PA)
- 1978-1981 St. Vincent de Paul (Minersville, PA)
- 1981-1983 Diocesan Board of Education (West Schuylkill, PA)
- 1983-1984 St. Patrick (Pottsville, PA)
- 1984-1996 Various diocesan administrative positions
- 1996-1999 Dean of South Schuylkill Deanery
- 1999-2002 Various diocesan administrative positions, including Vicar Forane
- April 2002 Resigned
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Msgr. William Jones:
The Diocese of Allentown was sued in 2004 by a man who claimed he was one of several boys molested by Jones during a trip, and on other occasions, from 1978 until 1980. The lawsuit was dismissed by the Court in 2005 due to the expiration of the statute of limitations.
Very little is mentioned about the allegations against Jones in the most recent grand jury report. However, our experience tells us that, from his assignment history alone, there are several red flags that the Diocese of Allentown may have become aware that Jones was acting inappropriately with minors at some point in his career. For example, his assignments to so many high schools in such a short amount of time suggests that trouble quickly arose when he arrived in a new place. Those transfers, and the reasons for them, would absolutely be the subject of additional investigation in any lawsuits filed against the Diocese of Allentown by victims of Jones.
Jones died in 2004.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.