Father Henry “Harry” Nawn
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Retired (in good standing): 1991
Named in civil lawsuits: 2004, 2006
Assigned as follows:
- 1955 St. Patrick (McAdoo, PA)
- 1955-1956 St. Mary (St. Clair, PA)
- 1956-1957 St. Joseph (Downingtown, PA)
- 1957 St. Gabriel (Norwood, PA)
- 1957-1958 St. James Catholic High School
- 1957-1958 Holy Saviour (Linwood, PA)
- 1958-1978 Cardinal Dougherty High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1958-1959 Immaculate Conception (Jenkintown, PA)
- 1959 Holy Saviour (Linwood, PA)
- 1959-1966 St. Edward the Confessor (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1966-1967 St. Columba (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1967-1967 Convent of Divine Love
- 1967-1977 St. Dominic (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1977-1978 St. Joachim (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1978 Holy Angels (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1978-1979 St. Robert (Chester, PA)
- 1979-1986 St. Bernard (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1986-1987 Corpus Christi (Lansdale, PA)
- 1987-1991 St. Edmond (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1991-1994 Retired, Villa St. Joseph
- 1994-1995 Immaculate Conception (Jenkintown, PA)
- 1995-1996 Retired, Villa St. Joseph
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Henry “Harry” Nawn:
According to the 2011 Grand Jury report, Father Henry “Harry” Nawn has been accused of sexually abusing multiple boys during the course of his priesthood.
The first allegation, made in 1997, was made by a man who alleges he was abused by Nawn at Cardinal Dougherty High School from approximately 1962-1963. No action was taken except to inform the man that Nawn died in 1996.
The second allegation was made in 2002 by another Cardinal Dougherty High School alum who said he was victimized from approximately 1960-1964. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia lied to the man and told him that there were no other complaints about Nawn. No other action was taken.
The third allegation was made approximately six months later. A man alleged that he was sexually abused by Nawn as a 13 year old altar boy at St. Edmond’s in Philadelphia.
The fourth allegation was made in 2004 by a man who said that he as sexually abused from 1965-1966. He too was abused as a student at Cardinal Dougherty High School.
The fifth allegation was made a few days after the fourth one in 2004. The victim told the Archdiocese of Philadelphia that he was a freshman at Cardinal Dougherty High School when Nawn abused him, but the Grand Jury report is not clear what year that was.
In 2004, a Philadelphia man filed a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Philadelphia alleging that he was sexually abused by Nawn and a second priest, Fr. Charles Siegele, while he attended Cardinal Dougherty High School from 1960-1964.
A sixth man alleged abuse by Nawn in 1962, after the man went to Nawn to report sexual abuse by another priest. Instead of protecting the boy, Nawn sexually abused him too.
Nawn retired as a priest in good standing in 1991. He died in 1996.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Philadelphia now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.