Father Andre Corbin
Diocese of Raleigh
Sick leave: 1962-1964
Assigned as Follows:
- 1961-1962 Our Lady of Guadlupe (Newton Grove, NC)
- 1961-1962 St. Mary’s Mission (Mount Olive, NC)
- 1961-1962 Sacred Heart (Goldsboro, NC)
- 1962-1963 Holy Family (Springfield, MA)
- 1962-1964 Sick Leave
- 1964-1966 St. Lawrence (Ashville, NC)
- 1964-1966 St. Barnabas (Arden, NC)
- 1966 St. Geneviere of the Pines Elementary School (Gibbons Hall, NC)
- 1966-1967 Sacred Heart (Brevard, NC)
- 1966-1967 Our Lady of the Mountains (Highlands, NC)
- 1967-1969 Our Lady of Fatima (Winston-Salem, NC)
- 1969-1970 Bishop McGuinness Memorial High School (Winston-Salem, NC)
- 1970-1972 On Leave
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Andre Corbin:
In 1988, criminal charges were filed against Father Andre Corbin for the abuse of a boy in 1966. The victim was only 5-years-old at the time of the abuse. Corbin was eventually sentenced to 3 years in jail, but only served about 60 days. Corbin was then placed on probation for 5 years and ordered to St. Luke’s Institute, a notorious treatment facility for pedophile priests in Maryland, to continue sex offender treatment.
Corbin was later accused of dressing young boys in loincloths to depict the crucified Christ Jesus. The Charlotte diocese removed faculties in 1988.
Corbin was also named in a lawsuit in December 2003 in Springfield, Massachusetts. The suit included multiple plaintiffs and was settled for $7.75 million dollars. Corbin was assigned in the Springfield Diocese as a supply priest at the time of the lawsuit. It was not uncommon for an accused priest to be re-assigned to a new diocese under the supervision of a “benevolent bishop” after completing sex offender treatment. That Corbin was already convicted of abuse would not have mattered to the new bishop if he had assurances from doctors at St. Luke’s that Corbin was fit for ministry.
Corbin died in a fire on May 14th, 2008.
His name appears on the Raleigh Diocese’s list of credibly accused priests as of October 2018.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in North Carolina, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 (or toll-free at (888) 283-9922). Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.