Father Anthony Curran
Diocese of Albany
Assigned as follows:
- St. Paul the Apostle Church (Schenectady, NY)
- Our Lady of Victory (Troy, NY)
- St. Mary’s Hospital (Amsterdam, NY)
- St. Bridget’s (Watervliet, NY)
- St. Mary’s (Glens Falls, NY)
- St. Joseph’s (Dolgeville, NY)
- Holy Cross (Schenectady, NY)
- St. Mary’s (Schenectady, NY)
- St. John the Evangelist Church (Schenectady, NY)
- St. Peter’s and Paul’s Church (Frankfurt, NY)
- St. Mary’s Church (Albany, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Anthony Curran:
Fr. Anthony Curran was ordained a priest in 1972. According to media reports, in 2004 a man sued the Dioceses of Albany and Boston, claiming that he had been sexually and emotionally abused by several priests over a period of about fifty years.
As a result of this abuse, the man said he was mentally unsettled. He claimed that in the early 1990s when he was 12 years old, Curran allegedly took advantage of his weakened mental and emotional state at St. John the Evangelist Church in Schenectady, New York. The victim said he showed him pornographic material and forced him into a homosexual encounter when Curran was fifty years old. He also claimed that Curran had a collection of child pornography in his bedroom at the rectory.
The Diocese of Albany did not take any action against Curran. As of 2004, Curran was a priest in good standing at a Schenectady parish.
In January 2020, Curran died at the Teresian House in Albany, New York.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Albany, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.