Father Anthony M. Canu
Diocese of Richmond
Assigned as follows:
- 1955-1959 Franciscan Preparatory Seminary (Hollidaysburg, PA)
- 1959-1961 Holy Family; Our Lady of the Angels Academy (Belle Prairie, MN)
- 1961-1962 St. Francis Convent Chaplains’ Residence (Little Falls, MN)
- 1962-1964 Franciscan Preparatory Seminary (Hollidaysburg, PA)
- 1964-1965 Sweetest Heart of Mary (Polish) (Detroit, MI)
- 1965-1968 Franciscan Preparatory Seminary (Hollidaysburg, PA)
- 1968-1974 The James Barry-Robinson High School and Home for Boys (Norfolk, VA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Anthony M. Canu:
Father Anthony M. Canu was a priest of the Third Order Regular Franciscans. He was assigned to the Dioceses St. Cloud, Altoona, Detroit, and Richmond. His assignments included a high school seminary, a high school and home for boys, and several parishes.
According to media reports, in January 2014, his name appeared publicly on the Diocese of St. Cloud’s list of 33 clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. No further information on where or when the abuse occurred was disclosed. In June 2019, his name was added to the Diocese of Richmond’s list. It noted that he was removed from ministry in 1973. His whereabouts beyond 1974 are unknown. He was laicized, and died in 2019.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Richmond. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Richmond, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Richmond now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.