Father Augustine Ferretti
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1942-1943: Seattle College and Seattle Preparatory High School (Seattle, WA)
- 1943-1944: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1944-1947: Georgetown University (Washington D.C.)
- 1947-1949: Mt. St. Michael’s Scholasticate (Spokane, WA)
- 1949-1951: Seattle University (Seattle, WA)
- 1951-1952: Mt. St. Michael’s Scholasticate (Spokane, WA)
- 1952-1953: St. Ignatius Mission (St. Ignatius, MT)
- 1953-1955: Seattle University (Seattle, WA)
- 1955-1957: St. Margaret Mary (Sig Sandy, MT)
- 1957-1963: Sacred Heart, Coeur d’Alene Indian Mission (Desmet, ID)
- 1963-1969: St. Ignatius Mission (St. Ignatius, MT)
- 1969-1978: Mt. St. Michael’s Scholasticate (Spokane, WA)
- 1978-1979: Holy Cross (Keuterville, ID)
- 1980-1982: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Augustine Ferretti:
Fr. Augustine Ferretti, known as Fr. Freddy, was a priest of the Oregon Province ordained in 1942, who served in multiple dioceses including in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 2008, a woman filed a lawsuit against the Oregon Province of the Jesuit Order alleging that Ferretti sexually abused her on multiple occasions in the 1970s, when she was seven or eight years old. Ferretti was assigned to Lapwai Catholic Church, Nez Perce at the time. The plaintiff’s attorney dismissed the suit in January 2009 and refiled it, adding the Diocese of Boise as a defendant. Shortly after, two other claims were made with similar complaints against Ferretti. A massive settlement was reached in March 2011.
In 2011, Ferretti was named in a civil suit against the Ursuline Order and the Diocese of Helena of abuse when he was assigned at St. Ignatius Mission. Ferretti was included on the Diocese of Helena list in compliance with the non-monetary terms of the bankruptcy settlement in 2015.
In 2018, Ferretti was included on the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings list of priests accused of sexual abuse. In 2018, Ferretti was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted allegations reported in 2009 in reference to abuse that took place in 1952-1958, 1960-1969, 1971-1976.
Ferretti died in 1982.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.