Father Carlton E. Whitten
Archdiocese of San Francisco/Jesuits
- 1961-1962: Alma College (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1962-1963: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1963-1965: Jesuit High School (Sacramento, CA)
- 1965-1972: Bellarmine College Prep. (San Jose, CA)
- 1972-1977: Brophy College Prep. (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1977-1980: St. Ignatius Prep. (San Francisco, CA)
- 1980-1987: Jesuit High School (Sacramento, CA)
- 1987-1990: Loyola High School (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1990-1992: Jesuit High School Community of Sacramento (Carmichael, CA)
- 1992-1999: Jesuit High School (Sacramento, CA)
- 1999-2001: San Luis Obispo (San Luis Obispo, CA)
- 2002-2003: St. Agnes’ (San Francisco, CA)
- 2004-2007: St. Charles Borromeo (Peoria, AZ)
- 2008: Bellarmine College Prep. (San Jose, CA)
- 2009-2018: Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Carlton E. Whitten:
According to media reports, in December 2007, Fr. Carlton E. Whitten, a Jesuit priest, was removed from active ministry while the Jesuits investigated an allegation that he had sexually abused a 17-year-old boy while working at St. Joseph in White Salmon, Washington. Pornography was also found on the computer that he used.
Fr. Whitten was reportedly a visiting priest sent to work at St. Joseph temporarily. During his “semi-retirement” years, he frequently worked along the west coast for priests on vacation or leave. He was moved from his residence at Bellarmine College Preparatory in San Jose, California, to Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California, while the allegation of the abuse was investigated. As of the 2012 Official Catholic Directory, Fr. Whitten is still living at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos.
In October 2012, Fr. Whitten was named on the Diocese of Phoenix’s list of “Names of priests that have been laicized and/or removed from ministry due to sexual misconduct with a minor.” Whitten was also named on the Jesuits West Province of the Society of Jesus’ “List of Jesuits from Jesuits West Province with Credible Claims of Sexual Abuse of a Minor or Vulnerable Adult” in the section “Jesuits of Jesuit West Province with Credible Claims” and on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of San Francisco in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of San Francisco now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Archdiocese of San Francisco, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.