Father Charles Jeffries Burton
Diocese of Charlotte/Jesuit Order
Assigned as Follows:
- 1967-1968 College of the Sacred Heart (Woodstock, MD)
- 1968-1970 Colegio San Mateo (Orsono, Chili)
- 1970-1978 Chapel of the Holy Redeemer (Hot Springs, NC)
- 1970-1978 St. Therese of the Little Flower (Revere, NC)
- 1978-1982 Youth Ministries Charlotte Diocese (Flat Rock, NC)
- 1979-1980 Self-Help, Inc. (Baltimore, MD)
- 1982-1988 Holy Name (Camden, NJ)
- 1987-1988 Vicar for Hispanic Ministry (Camden, NJ)
- 1988-1989 Jesuit Ferdinand Wheeler House (Baltimore, MD)
- 1989-1994 Camden Diocesan Center (Mays Landing and Pomona, NJ)
- 1989-1992 Holy Spirit Church (Atlantic City, NJ)
- 1992-1998 St. Peter’s (Pleasantville, NJ)
- 1998-2002 St. James (Ventnor, NJ)
- 2002-2006 Assumption Parish (Pomona, NJ)
- 1994-2006 Richard Stockton College of New Jersey (Pomona, NJ)
- 1994-2003 Atlantic Community College (Mays Landing, NJ)
- 2003-2006 Atlantic Community College (Pomona, NJ)
- 2006-2007 Not indexed
- 2007 Sacred Heart (South Richmond, VA)
- 2007-2008 Jesuit Fathers and Brothers Maryland Provincial Curia (Baltimore, MD)
- 2008-2010 Colombiere Jesuit Community (Baltimore, MD)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Charles Jeffries Burton:
In 1994, the Jesuit Order received a report that in 1982, Father Charles Burton had engaged in “inappropriate touching” with a minor in North Carolina. He was co-director of the youth ministry for the Diocese of Charlotte at the time. Burton underwent a brief period of therapy, but remained in ministry. In June 2007, the Jesuits claimed that they discovered the earlier accusations in reviewing Burton’s personnel file. Burton acknowledged the sexual misconduct and was removed from active ministry that year.
Burton died in August of 2011.
His name appears on the Jesuits Maryland Province list of accused clergy published in 2018. His name was also added to the Baltimore archdiocese’s list and the Richmond diocese’s lists in February 2019.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Charlotte in North Carolina. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in North Carolina, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Charlotte now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in North Carolina and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.