Sister Mary Carmel Skeabeck
Diocese of Erie
Assigned as follows:
- 1942-1943 St. Agatha School (Meadville, PA)
- 1943-1944 St. Joseph Home for Children (Erie, PA)
- 1944-1946 Holy Rosary School (Erie, PA)
- 1946-1950 St. Leo School (Ridgway, PA)
- 1950-1952 Cathedral Grade School (Erie, PA)
- 1952-1955 St. Agatha High School (Meadville, PA)
- 1955-1957 St. Bernard High School (Bradford, PA)
- 1957-1958 St. Leo High School (Ridgway, PA)
- 1958-1959 Villa Maria Academy (Erie, PA)
- 1959-1964 St. Agatha High School (Meadville, PA)
- 1964-1971 Elk County Christian High School (St. Mary’s, PA)
- 1971-1972 Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse (Erie, PA)
- 1972-1974 Elk County Christian High School (St. Marys, PA)
- 1974-1976 St. Joseph School (Erie, PA)
- 1976-1978 Villa Maria College (Erie, PA)
- 1978-1979 Saint Vincent Health Center
- 1979-2001 Villa Maria Academy (Erie, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Sister Mary Carmel Skeabeck:
Sister Mary Carmel Skeabeck, (aka Charlotte Skeabeck), was a Sister of Saint Joseph since 1942. According to media reports, the order said it received a report in May 2018, that Sister Skeabeck sexually abused a student multiple times in the late 1950s when she was a teacher at Villa Maria Academy in Erie.
Although the order was aware of reports about Sister Skeabeck at the time the abuse occurred, she was allowed to remain in ministry in schools and other institutions throughout the 13-county Catholic Diocese of Erie until she retired in 2001. She died in 2015 at age 91.
In October 2018, her name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Erie’s updated list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. She was the first nun to be placed on the list.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Erie. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Erie may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.