Father Craig Brugger
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
No assignment: 1986
Removed from ministry: 2002
Laicized (removed from the priesthood): 2006
Assigned as follows:
- 1973-1976: St. Ann (Phoenixville, PA)
- 1976-1980: Resurrection of Our Lord (Chester, PA)
- 1980-1981: St. Mary Magdalene (Media, PA)
- 1981-1986: Our Lady of Charity (Brookhaven, PA)
- 1986: Not Listed in The Official Catholic Directory
- 1987-1990: St. Joseph (Ashton, PA)
- 1987-1994: St. James Catholic High School (Chester, PA)
- 1990-1994: St. John Chrysostom (Wallingford, PA)
- 1994: Bishop McDevitt High School (Wyncote, PA)
- 1994-1996: St. Therese of the Child Jesus (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1996: Kennedy Kenrick Catholic High School (Norristown, PA)
- 1997-2002: St. Helena (Philadelphia, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Craig Brugger:
Father Craig Brugger was ordained a priest in 1973 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to media reports, in 2002, a man alleged that he was sexually abused by Father Brugger as a 15-year-old boy in approximately 1974, while the priest was assigned to St. Ann in Phoenixville. He was removed from his assignment at St. Helena and sent for a psychological examination at Villa St. John Vianney, a notorious treatment facility for pedophile priests in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s internal review board deemed the allegation credible and recommended to Anthony Cardinal Bevilacqua that Brugger’s suspension from ministry continue indefinitely.
In 1989, while assigned as principal at St. James Catholic High School, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia received information that Father Brugger was viewing and “receiving” pornographic material, according to the Philadelphia 2005 Grand Jury Report. He agreed to dispose of the material and begin counseling for his sexual issues, and in exchange, he was allowed to remain in his assignment.
Father Brugger was laicized (removed from the priesthood) by the Vatican in 2006. He died in 2010.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.