Father Craig Brugger
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
No assignment: 1986
Removed from ministry: 2002
Laicized (removed from the priesthood): 2006
Assigned as follows:
- 1973-1976 St. Ann (Phoenixville, PA)
- 1976-1980 Resurrection of Our Lord (Chester, PA)
- 1980-1981 St. Mary Magdalene (Media, PA)
- 1981-1986 Our Lady of Charity (Brookhaven, PA)
- 1986 Not Listed in The Official Catholic Directory
- 1987-1990 St. Joseph (Ashton, PA)
- 1987-1994 St. James Catholic High School (Chester, PA)
- 1990-1994 St. John Chrysostom (Wallingford, PA)
- 1994 Bishop McDevitt High School (Wyncote, PA)
- 1994-1996 St. Therese of the Child Jesus (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1996 Kennedy Kenrick Catholic High School (Norristown, PA)
- 1997-2002 St. Helena (Philadelphia, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Craig Brugger:
In 1989, while Father Craig Brugger was assigned as principal at St. James Catholic High School, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia received information that he was viewing and “receiving” pornographic material, according to the grand jury report. He agreed to dispose of the material and begin counseling for his sexual issues, and in exchange, he was allowed to remain in his assignment.
In 2002, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia received a report from a man who alleged that he was sexually abused by Brugger as a 15 year old boy in approximately 1974, while Brugger was assigned to St. Ann. He was removed from his assignment at St. Helena and sent for a psychological examination at Villa St. John Vianney, a notorious treatment facility for pedophile priests in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s internal review board deemed the allegation credible and recommended to Anthony Cardinal Bevilacqua that Brugger’s suspension from ministry continue indefinitely.
Brugger was laicized (removed from the priesthood) by the Vatican in 2006.
Brugger died in 2010.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Philadelphia now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.