Father David Scharf
Diocese of Pittsburgh
Ordained: May 1985
Removed from ministry: 2016
Assigned as follows:
- 6/03/1985 -6/14/1987: Parochial Vicar, St. Michael Archangel, Butler, PA
- 6/15/1987 -2/10/1992: Parochial Vicar, Our Lady of Grace, Scott Township, PA
- 2/11/1992 -1/27/1997: Parochial Vicar, Our Lady of Fatima, Hopewell Township, PA
- 1/27/1997 -8/31/1998: Parochial Vicar, St. Robert Bellarmine, East McKeesport, PA
- 8/31/1998 -1/20/1999: Sabbatical
- 1/20/1999 -12/13/1999: Parochial Vicar, St. Hugh, Carmichaels, PA
- 12/13/1999- 11/21/2003: Pastor, St. Philomena, Beaver Falls, PA
- 11/21/2003- 8/17/2009: Leave of Absence
- 8/17/2009 -2016: Chaplain, Sisters of St. Joseph, Baden, PA
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father David Scharf:
In December 2002 a sexual allegation (foot fetish) complaint against Father David Scharf was made to the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Several males (both adults and minors) complained of Scharf massaging their feet.
In August 2003, Scharf requested a leave of absence to attend St. Luke Institute for evaluation in order to end accusations. The request was granted. In July 2004, St. Luke’s staff wrote in Scharf’s discharge from the residential treatment program the following: “Father Scharf recognizes his practice of foot reflexology should be discontinued immediately.”
In February 2005 St. Luke’s staff noted Scharf’s discharge from the halfway house that Scharf did not successfully complete the program and was at a high risk for re-offending.
In October 2007, Scharf wrote a letter requesting re-entry into ministry. He stated that he was at peace with himself and had taken responsibility for his past actions. He wrote another letter requesting re-entry into ministry in June 2008. Both requests were denied.
During several St. Luke Institute Continuing Care Workshops from 2005 to 2010, Scharf admitted to massaging the feet of minors and later masturbating to the image of the minors’ feet.
Scharf was removed from the ministry in 2016 and his current whereabouts are unknown.
Contact us today.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com today.