Father Paul R. Valdez
Diocese of Monterey
Faculties removed: 2019
- 1982-1984 Sacred Heart (Salinas, CA)
- 1982-1984 Christ the King (Salinas, CA)
- 1984-1985 Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo (Monterey, CA)
- 1984-1985 Annunciation (Stephen Place, CA)
- 1984-1985 Monterey Peninsula (CA)
- 1985-1987 Joseph’s (Capitola, CA)
- 1987-1989 S. Military
- 1989-1990 Sacred Heart (Hollister, CA)
- 1989-1990 Immaculate Conception (Tres Pinos, CA)
- 1990-1992 Holy Cross (Santa Cruz, CA)
- 1992-1994 John the Baptist (King City, CA)
- 1992-1994 Luke (San Lucas, CA)
- 1994-1995 Elizabeth Ann Seton (Los Osos, CA)
- 1995-1999 Sacred Heart (Salinas, CA)
- 1999-2005 Michael’s (Boulder Creek, CA)
- 2003-2004 Christ Child (Los Gatos, CA)
- 2005-2011 Jude Parish Community (Filipino-Korean) (Marina, CA)
- 2010 Defenders of the Bond
- 2010 Finance Council
- 2010 Insurance Committee
- 2010 Safety Committee
- 2011 Priests’ Pension Plan
- 2011 Vicar for Retired Priests
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Paul R. Valdez:
In 1999, an 11-year-old girl accused Fr. Paul Valdez of sexually abusing her during confession at Sacred Heart in Salinas, CA.
She told her 6th-grade teacher about the incident that took place in 1998 so she isn’t sent to Fr. Paul Valdez again for confession. Shockingly, the teacher and school principal humiliated the girl in front of the class and told everybody not to talk about it with anyone else. The teacher and principal downplayed the incident to the Department of Social Services.
The 11-year-old girl’s family sued the Diocese of Monterey, resulting in a settlement. Within the police report, it was mentioned that several other girls in the 11-year-old victims’ classroom didn’t want to go to Valdez for confession. However, it did not result in charges against the priest.
As of 2011, Valdez remained an active priest of the Monterey Diocese.
In 2019, Fr. Paul Valdez was included on a list of priests in the Diocese of Monterey who was named as being “credibly accused” of child sex abuse.
In 2019, Valdez’ allegation was reclassified from non-credible to credible, and faculties were removed in 2019.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Monterey in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Monterey now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Monterey, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.