Father Edward Hartel
Archdiocese of Washington
Assigned as follows:
- 1990 – 1995 Shrine of St. Jude, (Rockville, MD)
- 1988 – 1990 Holy Cross Parish, (Garrett Park, MD)
- 1987 – 1988 Leave of absence
- 1985 – 1987 Sacred Heart Parish, (La Plata, MD)
- 1975 – 1985 St. Mary of the Mills Parish, (Laurel, MD)
- 1970 – 1975 Holy Cross Parish, (Garrett Park, MD)
- 1965 – 1970 St. Bernadette Parish, (Silver Spring, MD)
- 1962 – 1965 St. Mark Parish, (Hyattsville, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Edward Hartel:
According to media reports, in 1995, an allegation that Father Edward Hartel sexually abused an altar boy on one occasion at a Lanham parish between 1975 and 1978 was reported to the Archdiocese of Washington. Hartel admitted to the abuse. He was removed from ministry and arrested.
Three other priests were accused of abusing the same boy. Father Hartel was acquitted on another allegation because of identification problems. The Archdiocese of Washington said he would not be reassigned.
In December 2006, at least one claim was included in a global $1.3 million settlement between the Archdiocese of Washington and 16 plaintiffs.
Hartel died in 2013.
In October 2018, Hartel’s name appeared on the Archdiocese of Washington’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Washington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.